|If you are unable to view this newsletter click here or go to http://aquasportscuba.com/Email/August2011Email.html|
Come join Shark Fin Free Calgary for a special free screening of multiple award winning documentary Sharkwater, live music, signing of a shark fin petition, EPIC silent auction and maybe a shark themed special drink?
They will have Sharkwater DVD's for sale - $10 each. *Also limited numbers of DVD's autographed by Rob Stewart will be available for sale!!! He cannot be there
in person, but will be there in spirit (and signature..)!!*
The Blind Beggar Pub has graciously donated the use of their establishment for the evening on Sunday Sept 4, 2011. They're asking folks to show up a bit early,
around 6 pm to get in, settle in, eat, drink, and all that good stuff. The screening, with speakers will begin at 7 pm. They're
hoping the band Bloom (who have an amazing sound) will be performing afterwards.
They are going to be setting up door prizes, and depending on the donations that come in, they will do an auction with proceeds going to United
Charlene has donated a computer for the silent action and a couple of surface marker buoys for door prizes.
There are lots of specialties coming up in September. Make sure you sign up quickly as classes are filling up fast.
Get your diving in before the winter freeze-up.
Sept 10/11 Weekend - Peak Performance Buoyancy, Search and Recovery, Diver Propulsion Vehicles, Night, and Altitude
Sept 10 - Drysuit
Sept 13,15 - Nitrox
Sept 17/18 - Deep
Banff 2011 Underwater Lake Cleanup
Sunday,September 11, 2011
Location: Cliffs' Dive Site, Day Use Area, Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park
9 AMó10 AM: Register/Waivers & Set-up Dive Gear
10 AM Sharp: Dive Safety Briefing & Start of Cleanup
1 PM - 2 PM: BBQ Lunch & Presentations
There is a picnic shelter with a wood stove immediately adjacent to the Cliffs dive site which can be used as warm-up location. A large garbage bin is available nearby. Canada Parks staff request that only a few vehicles ferry gear and supplies into the site
in the morning & that participants please use the main parking lot. Keep the roadway behind the gate clear of vehicles as this is
used for emergency access only. Registration fee is by donation to help cover cost of food for all volunteers.
Remember to bring: All your dive gear, 1-2 tanks, ditchable weights, tarp, knife or cutting device (lots of fishing line at this location!).
Mesh bags & garbage bags supplied by Project Aware!
All are welcome. Event details subject to change without notice, please check AUC website prior for any last minute updates at
Please RSVP on AUC Facebook or email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or Phone: Toll Free: 1-888-307-8566 or 780-427-9125
CURRENT AUC MEMBERS (Individuals/Family) volunteering at two or more Dive Alberta 2011 Events automatically qualifies you for Grand Prizes:
- One of Two: One Week Condo Accommodations at BonaireDiveVilla.com OR
- $250 Gift Certificate from the AB Dive Centre of your choice!
The Great Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest
October 23, 2011
Two Jack Lake, Banff National Park
Start Time 10:00 a.m. - Judging at approximately 2:00pm
Tickets $5.00 each
Includes refreshments, munchies and lots of prizes!!
Tickets on Sale now at Aqua Sport
THE GREAT PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST RULES
- You must supply your own pumpkin and carve it to win a prize.
- Pumpkins must be a minimum of 12 inches in diameter.
- Pumpkin can not be carved until you reach the tarp. (You can pre-draw your face or design)
- Pumpkin must be taken underwater in its entirety. (No punches, holes, knife cuts or soft/rotting pumpkins)
- All carving tools must be sheathed when not in use.
- All carved items (the guts) must be caught in some kind of bag and removed from the lake. (Sorry...no feeding the fish)
- Each team/individual will be required to sign in and certification will need to be verified prior to entering the water.
- Each team/individual must sign out once out of the water.
- You may wear whatever you like as there may be prizes for best costume.
- All contestants must use safe diving practices while competing and must carve to compete.
- Winners must be present with their pumpkin to claim their prizes.
- If by chance your pumpkin were to abort the dive prior to finishing or starting, you may retrieve your pumpkin and continue.